Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cleveland Trip

My trip up to Cleveland was tons of fun!!! It was so great visiting with Brooke and Todd, we crammed in as much as we could in three days. I flew in Thursday evening and we headed straight to Harpo's to chow down on their delicious wings. Afterwards we headed to their house - which I finally got to see for the first time and they've been living there going on three years! Their house is 106 years old! It had beautiful maple floors and tall doors with gorgeous trim and moldings. Their dining room had the original built in china hutch with glass doors on the sides and a bench in the middle. I could probably type an entire post on their home but we'll save that for another day. As beautiful as their home was, there was one major, major fault.... they kept their thermostat at like 27 degrees! Maybe that's a slight exaggeration but it was a bit on the chilly side. Although I will say, Brooke did warn me of how cold it is in Cleveland. When I called her the day before I was flying out to ask if I needed to pack long johns, she said "No, of course not!" I'm kind of thinking she should have probably said "Yes!" Note to self: Bring all the long johns you can find for the next visit to Brooke and Todd's...

Friday, we spent the day in Amish Country. Touring shops, antique stores, wineries, and eating so much food we could barely walk. We ate lunch at the Der Dutchman Restaurant. It's been almost a week since my trip and I'm still full from eating there! Delicious!! We seriously ate so much, Brooke was half tempted to ask one of the Amish for a ride to our car. The country side was beautiful. Rolling hills, lots of farm houses, and old barns. I think my favorite was seeing the Amish riding in their little buggies, especially when the kids were the ones driving!

Saturday was another great day. Brooke and Todd drove me all over Cleveland. We took our pictures in front of Lake Erie and got to see all of downtown Cleveland. We went to the West Side Market - more fresh food than you can imagine in one place. We got some clams, bread, veggies and herbs for dinner that night. I wish we had a place like that in Charlotte! We ate lunch at Panini's and ate their famous "overstuffed sandwich". Mine was piled high with turkey, swiss cheese, french fries and coleslaw. No joke. It sounds disgusting but it was really good! Again, still full from that meal. Saturday night we cooked our feast from the West Side Market. Or rather, Todd graciously cooked dinner for all of us. You may be wondering at this point, what did we do in the evenings during my visit to Cleveland? Two words for you: Guitar Hero. I had never played before until this trip. I am convinced we played over 20 hours while I was visiting. Brooke just emailed me her pictures from my visit...and the only pictures she had on her camera were of us playing Guitar Hero. Oh, yes of course, let me answer your question. I AM a rock star.

It was such a wonderful trip. Like always, we had a blast hanging out together. Brooke and I figured out that we've been best friends for sixteen years now and we've been through middle school, high school, college, roommates, and weddings together. Two minutes after that discovery, she spilt her drink all over my pants and my shirt and I didn't think once about punching her for it. We really are true friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment