Friday, February 12, 2010

I learn something new everyday...

This past Wednesday I had another doctor's appointment to check on our new little baby growing. Kathryn was with me and was such a big girl. We got to hear the heartbeat which was amazing! My doctor is the same doctor I saw when I was pregnant with Kathryn and she is just fantastic.

We started to go through the typical "discussion" part of my appointment and she's starting to open my file and casually asks me, "did your membranes rupture when you had Kathryn?" And I answer her very sternly, "NO" and I'm thinking, "Goodness NO. What a horrible thing, I'm so glad that didn't happen to me. I can just imagine how bad that would have been..." By this point she's found her notes from delivering Kathryn and she goes, "Your membranes did rupture silly, you must have forgotten." And I'm thinking, "No way I'd forget something like that. I think I would have known if something so horrific happened to me when I was giving birth. Surely I just blocked this scary event from my mind. And why didn't Matt ever tell me I went through this!?" She proceeds to read my file and it hits me. Ooohhh. Ha. Ok, I get it now. "Ruptured membranes" = "Your water broke". Well in that case, yes, my water did break and it was completely okay. If she'd casually asked me, "did your water break?" I would have casually answered, "why yes it did." Instead, my brain took me on a wild, "what in the world did I go through while I was giving birth to Kathryn that it was so tragic I FORGOT!"

So, Mom, just be happy to know that my vocabulary is constantly expanding AND your daughter apparently survived a heroic measure of having "ruptured membranes"!

1 comment:

  1. hilarious. I wouldn't have had a clue what she was talking about either ...

    ReplyDelete