Friday, January 25, 2013

Movie Night

Friday Family Fun Night. That's tonight and the kids and I are SO excited it is finally here!

We started this several months ago and it's been a huge hit. The kids get a couple of choices for their "favorite" dinners and get to pick out what we have for the night. This is a dinner I'm a bit more relaxed about and don't push (too hard) on being completely healthy. (I try!) It kind of rotates between homemade pizza, mac & cheese with broccoli (get those veggies in!!), crock pot ravioli, and burritos. Tonight we're having crock pot ravioli with this recipe. It's very tasty and the kids love it! We eat in the livingroom either on the floor in front of the table or with tv trays while we watch the movie. They think that is so fun. And of course, we have some type of dessert to chow down on after dinner.

We didn't really have a big selection of children/family movies when we started this but we stocked up on a handful for Christmas gifts. Also, we'll use Netflix from time to time. Tonight, we're watching The Rescuers Down Under which we recorded earlier from ABC Family.

We've been rotating who gets to pick the movie out for the night and that's been fun too. The other week I picked Mary Poppins - I haven't seen that in over 20 years, at least! I loved seeing it again - you can't beat Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke!! The best part was seeing Kathryn really enjoy it too. I didn't realize how long it actually was so Jake lasted about 70% of the time :) He got to pick the following week and made up for it by picking Cars. Smart boy.

I love that the kids can see some of our old "classics" that we saw growing up and we get to watch some of the new ones together too.

I'm thankful to have a night each week we can all look forward too and just be together. I remember watching movies with my family each week growing up and loved it. We'd either load up in the car and drive to the local hole in the wall movie rental and come home with our $1.00 or $.75 VHS for the weekend. Or we'd all watch the Disney movie that came on tv on Sunday nights.

It's always fun passing on a tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment