Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Neighborhood Living

Hello again. I know you must be shocked to hear from me again and it's still January. I'm a bit surprised myself.

Lots of things floating around in my head and I thought I'd take a quick break from the world to type.

We live smack dab in the middle of suburbia. It is very easy to confuse the street that we live on as Wisteria Lane. Edie lives behind us, Gabby is two houses down, and Lynette is next door. I've never lived in a neighborhood until moving here. We've been in our house for almost 8 years now and I'm still not used to living on a street with so many other homes. I crave the country so bad.

I grew up on about 10 acres of land, surrounded by woods that backed up to a creek. If we wanted to play with our neighbor and we could hear them playing outside also, we'd yell loud enough for them to meet us in the woods halfway between each of our property's. My sister and I built so many forts, I couldn't even count them all nor tell you where all of them had been (and probably still are..). If you followed the creek towards the river and kept going about a mile up there was a cave along the rocks called Devil's Den. We loved treking through the river and climbing the rocks to see if the Devil really lived there. In one set of the woods, we found a 10x10 pile of old stones and rubbish buried under leaves that we called "The Plane Crash" site (obviously). The stories we made up about the things we found could keep us entertained for weeks.

I love being in the woods. I love the sounds. The leaves under your feet. I love trying to find different trails left by the animals. I love the smell.

Kathryn loves to tell me stories she's made up and is often asking me to tell her stories about princesses and fairies, and of course a purple and pink unicorn. One day she'll figure out every story I tell her starts off in Nonni and Papa's woods.

When we moved to NC for Matt's job, we had two weekends to find a house. I think the thrill of buying our first home and moving to a new place took the forefront on our minds and we never really thought about how long we'd actually be here. A dog, two kids and 8 years later, I think we're getting close to moving on. I'll never forgot getting our dog and taking him for a walk around the neighborhood for the first time and after he did his business, Matt handed me a bag. I said, "What's this for?" Matt goes, "To pick up his junk." I crack up laughing and go, "Ha! Yeah right. I'm not touching that." He said, "That's why there are bags throughout the neighborhood. That's what they're for." I told him, "Are you out of your everliving mind? You're picking that junk up, there's no way I'm touching it." Well. You know what? That's reason #983 I don't do well in a neighborhood. That's just ridicoulous.

2 comments:

  1. Glad your back! Love this post! Maybe you'll inspire me to get back on the blogging wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you!! I think about you sooo much! Charlie is SUCH a cutie! And you pick out the best names ever. Charlie is one of my absolute favorites. :) (One more post from me and I'll almost exceed 2012!!) haha

      Delete