Sunday, January 27, 2013

When I grow up..

You know the question: "What do you want to be when you grow up?" That seems to be a common topic in our house lately and I always have a little chuckle when I think about what I used to want to "be" when I grew up.

If you know me, you know my answer fwas "I want to wear high heels, carry a briefcase and have a corner office." Of course that also meant I'd live in the city because that's where you have a corner office and wear high heels. People would then question me further, "but what do you want to be?" Well isn't it obvious? I want to be a cute business girl!? And "What type of business are you going to do?" Again, another dumb question. Any type of business where I can wear high heels, carry a briefcase and have a corner office! Come on now. Get with the program. It all makes perfect sense in my mind. How am I not being clear?

So off to business school I went. My junior year at the best school in the South - The University of Georgia - I knew I was getting the best education possible to persue my extensive and elaborate plan for the rest of my life. I started interning at a Winery and Resort in their Marketing Department and soon moved on to sell their wine and design wine labels. Just after graduation, my boss asked me to go to San Francisco for a month to help open a new wine gallery and help them get their wine labels set up.

My moment had finally arrived! I was going to be in an amazing city, wear my high heels, carry my briefcase (or cute bag - that kind of changed with the times..) and have a corner officedesk!!! They arranged for my flights, set up my hotels for the month and I would have the weekends to check out the city, have friends fly in to hangout and and just enjoy life on the west coast.

So I packed all my bags, flew out one weekend with enough time to get settled and get an idea of where my hotel would be in relation to the gallery. Monday morning, I was ready to start my dream! I put my high heels on, grabbed my bag, took one last look at my map so I wouldn't look like a lost tourist and was on my way!

By the time I walked those 11 blocks in my fancy-smancy high heels, not only was I sweating to death, I was cursing life and every person that walked past me in their tennis shoes. My feet were about to fall off and I realized my dream of wearing high heels was sooo ridiculously retarded at that point. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND BASES THEIR DREAM AROUND HIGH HEELS?!? This girl.

Did you know that in big cities when you go to work you either take a taxi or you walk but you keep your heels in your bag until you GET to your job? No one ever informed me of this minormajor detail!

My very first day of living my dream and I couldn't even walk by the end of it.

Oh the lessons we learn in life... That was the last day I wore high heels in San Francisco.

Even though it was the city that robbed me of my lifelong dream, it will always be one of my absolute favorite cities in the US and one of the best times in my life.

When I grow up, I can guarantee you I will be wearing comfortable shoes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment