Friday, April 30, 2010

God is so GOOD

It is AMAZING to see the people God puts into your life at just the right moments. This past week when different ladies found out I was having a boy, I received several responses along the lines like, "your world is going to turn upside down with a boy" or "don't plan on having a break for the first 2 years" or "you are going to have your hands full with a boy!", and so-on, and so-on. I was floored. It was somewhat discouraging because they all seemed to have a negative spin on them. I get that boys and girls are different but come on, a baby is a baby and a two year old is a two year old and they're all BLESSINGS. I remember being pregnant with Kathryn and people trying to "prep" me for having a newborn and all the difficulties of it. I promised myself then that after Kathryn was born, if any new mom's asked for my opinion, I was going to tell them all the joy and excitement they were in for. So many women are fearful enough by themselves of the unknown, why exasperate it with a third party opinion? On top of that, the reality is it is definitely a change to life but not something to be scared or worried or fearful of. Needless to say, after hearing several of the comments this week, I wasn't exactly discouraged (because I know we are in for tons of joy and excitement whether we were having a boy or a girl) but I was struggling a little wrapping my head around it all and sad that that was how some of these mom's described their boys as just being difficult. 

Today, less than 24 hours later and still at the forefront of my brain, Kathryn and I went to Barnes and Noble - one of our favorite places to visit. I love it for the atmosphere, unlimited access to books and their delicious drinks and of course, she loves it for the "choo-choo train". It's the best of both worlds. While Kathryn was playing with the train station, wouldn't you know it...a lady came with an older daughter (4 and half years old) and a younger son (2 years old) and sat down right beside us. We were chatting within five minutes and we ended up talking for AT LEAST half an hour if not longer! It was such a fun time!!! We totally hit it off and it was such a comfort to have someone who was basically in my shoes, just a few years ahead of me. On top of that, she was thrilled to hear we were having a boy and went on and on about how fun both genders were. I was just tickled to hear that from her after all I had heard this week and then realized the perfect timing of it all. I know she didn't come across my path by accident and I'm grateful God had her on the calendar.

2 comments:

  1. Now, I don't know anything about girls, but little boys are soooo sweet. Nicklas is such a good helper, a cuddle bug, creative and fun. Plus, if there's one thing about boys, it's that they LOVE their mommies. He's a total mommy's boy, he's the only boy at his day care and the sitter raves about how she wishes all the kids were as good as N. Don't let anyone scare you with little boy tales. I'm sure girls have all their own tales and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jennifer! That's the way I imagine it would be - and the same as it is with Kathryn. Now we're just blessed with a good dose of both worlds! :) Just wish all mom's saw it that way.

    ReplyDelete